Thursday, October 13, 2011

Week Ending October 9

Mon - 6.5 miles (1,400') easy. Falls - Spring Creek - Stout - Herrington - Spring Creek - Soderberg.

Tues - 6 miles track. 2 mile w-u, 800 open, then 2x800, 400, 1,600, 2x400: 2:38, 2:37, 2:34, 75, 5:23, 80, 74. This one was a shock to the system. Gonna take a while to get back into the swing of interval work, but it feels good to turn the legs over.

Weds - 28 miles (8,500'). Andrews Peak, Ptarmigan Mountain.

Thurs - AM: 8 miles (800') easy. Bluesky with Brian S, Sarah and Pete.
PM: 7 miles (1,700'). Towers steady (34:50)

Fri - 4.5 miles (900') easy. Falls loop.

Sat - 12 miles (1,300'). 1.5 mile w-u. Silent Trails 10.5 mile race.

Sun - 10 miles (2,000') easy. 38e - Bluesky - Towers - Secret Trail - Westridge - Rock - Soderberg - home. Sore right leg everywhere, but mainly in the groin. Tripping and stumbling like I was drunk.

Total: 82 miles (15,700')

Felt like a decent week getting back into it. Can't say I felt particularly fresh, but I think that would take a month of no running to achieve and I'm not really interested in that at this time of year. The track workout was a rude awakening, with some lung burn on the first couple of 800s, but you've got to start somewhere.

Thinking I might run the Boyd Lake Half Marathon in Loveland next month. If I can run it faster than I did last year - when I was in a similar state of non-preparedness for road racing - then I'm thinking the road marathon might be something worth pursuing early next year. I have little to no interest in running a road marathon for the experience, as they tend to be expensive and not very inspiring, so it would be all about the black and white - a time trial - which means serious work in getting ready. Luckily I have a good Tuesday and Thursday winter group to help with that, so it shouldn't be too painful if I chose to go there.

People are starting to chatter a bit about the upcoming lottery season, a time when racing plans tend to start coming together. Obviously the two big ones in the 100-mile game are Western States and Hardrock. The Hardrock lottery comes after my deadline for committing to or passing on the auto slot I have for WS. I guess I'll wait to see if I get into Hardrock, and then if not look to qualify for Western States at either Bandera or Leona Divide potentially taking a run at the Ultra Cup in the process (should I qualify for WS). Or do something entirely different, like get back into rugby.

This pic popped up on my wife's Facebook the other day. Good times. I think I was younger than Dakota then. Front row, second from left.


Kent College 1st XV (1991, I think).

11 comments:

  1. If you get back into rugby, both the English and Eagles could definitely use some help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoo - that pic is a hoot there candy stripe guy.

    What kind of rest on the intervals?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott - the Eagles at least have an excuse, as rugby is not exactly a mainstream sport over here (although not as fringe as ultrarunning).

    GZ - 800s were relay style so equal rest to interval, then a similar rest between the 400, 1600, and minute for the last two 400s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be the guy on the bottom right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did those 20 years go?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nick. Inspiring as always. I thought to let you know that after an out and back 50 from Farnham to Knockholt and return this past August, the North Downs Way 100 in 2012 will be a point to point run, finishing in Wye. I tried to work a route that finished in Canterbury but we're not quite there yet. Perhaps at a later date. Anyway, no doubt it will impinge on other summer plans but if you wanted to come back this side of the pond and trash the 50/ 100 mile course records we'd be delighted to have you. The link is here http://centurionrunning.com/north-downs-way/ All the best with your training through the autumn/ winter. James

    ReplyDelete
  7. James - Looks like a great course. Wye will be a nice place to finish. Post-race brews at the Tickled Trout...

    I'll see if I can talk the commenter above (my brother) into running the 50 - course finishes about 20 miles from his house. Matt?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Or a meal at the Wife of Bath??
    More "down memory lane" rugby photographs on their way.
    RC

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nick. Didn't you already get another auto WS qualifier at Run Rabbit? Still have to commit that early? Thinking about heading to Bandera myself. Would really appreciate it if you went to Leona instead :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. dbo - clarkie's got the auto from being top-10 this year but has to commit his $395(?) by mid-Nov...BEFORE the HR lottery. when you qualify via a MUC race you have a two-week window after the race to commit your entry fee before your qualification status runs out. so the RRR50 qualification was redundant for nick and i suspect just local points in the MUC series bank in case WS ends up being the option come next summer...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dylan - what Tony said. Could have used the bonus MUC points at RRR for the win but of course it didn't quite play out that way.

    Anyway, on Bandera, I'm guessing Dave will likely be running given his win at Waldo, then I'm sure there are others thinking about it too, so could be a pretty good race.

    ReplyDelete